No.28: Friet & mayo (Dutch French Fries)

Call ‘em what you will – friet, friets, patat, Vlaamse Frieten – but one thing is sure, the Dutch can’t seem to get enough of ‘em!  In fact, they love ‘em so much they eat over 41 million kilos of these tasty guys per year! Now folks, I know it’s Friday and I don’t want your brains to explode, so I’ll kindly do the math for you; that’s 2.5 kilos (5.5 lbs) of fries per Dutchie per year! Oh my!

In English we refer to them as French Fries, but the French can’t take claim for their invention. Sadly, neither can the Dutch. These bad boys were born to the Dutchie’s favourite neighbour: Belgium and were coined “french fries” by confused worldly American WW1 soldiers after the language spoken – and not the country.

Fries were common place in Belgium as early as 1680 but didn’t make waves in the lowlands until the ealry 1900s. In 1912, the presence of patat-friet houses in Rotterdam’s red light district was reported (oh, how some things never change…;)

So what makes Dutch fries so different from any other country’s variation? The toppings my friend, the toppings! Did you not see the now infamous scene in Pulp Fiction?!

VINCENT:  But you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?
JULES: What?
VINCENT: Mayonnaise.
JULES: Goddamn!
VINCENT: I seen ‘em do it. And I don’t mean a little bit on the side of the plate, they fuckin’ drown ‘em in it.

Yes, mayo is a fries’ best friend in the lowlands. The two share a beautiful romance and can be found together all over town. Sometimes mayo’s cheaper dubious cousin, frietsauce,  makes an (unwanted) appearance with its unknown ingredients, but for the most part friets + mayo live happily every after.

Of course if you wanna blend in with the locals you can impress your friends with your mad skills of the wide-array of uniquely Dutch toppings and sauces. Below is our handy cheat-sheet:

• Friet met satésaus: fries with peanut sauce
  • Friet speciaal: fries with mayonnaise, (curry) ketchup and onions
  • Patatje Joppie: fries with the “top-secret” Joppiesaus (actually just a mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup and spices)
  • Patatje oorlog: this one varies slightly by region but is most often served as fries with peanut sauce, mayonnaise and raw chopped onions. Oorlog the Dutch word for war, is a reference to the sloppy mess this dish entails
  • Kapsalon: fries with kebab or shawarma  and sometimes cheese

Of course all of the above are a long way from my dear old Poutine, but I have been know to enjoy the occasional friet speciaal after a long night out…

116 response to "No.28: Friet & mayo (Dutch French Fries)"
  1. jettte said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Oh god! I want some now! (Germans put mayo on fires too. Preferably with ketchup as well: Pommes rot-weis.Yum!)

• jettte said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Erm… on fries, not on fires. Obviously…

• vandercoelen said:Posted on November 14th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Fires would be funnier… “Water? Don’t be daft! We have mayo…” :-P

2. Bertha Nijkamp said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You don’t mention what “kapsalon” really means and how it became the name of this special “patatje”!

• E Strietman said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

btw you may compare kapsalon with poutin

• irma said:Posted on September 13th, 2013 at 1:17 pm

kapsalon is invented in my town Rotterdam,there was a small kebab reataurant next to a hairdresssaloon(kapsalon means hairdresssaloon!),and the hairdressers were ordering lunch in the next door restaurant,their orders for kebab or the turkish dish with meat and bread,they change up by ordering with fries instead of bread..sooo..the kebabseller invented a dish with first kebab on the bottom,covered with salads,covered with fries and topped it with grilled cheese..with or without mayonaise sausces…the kebabseller had to find name for the now so populair dish and called it kapsalon,because of the hairdresspeople next door…nowerdays all the big city’s downhere sell kapsalon and its a very populair dish…last time i even saw a fish-store sell it with instead of meat fried fish(more like fish ‘n chips together!!).

• jorinde said:Posted on June 17th, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Geniaal!!

3. Stijn Verwijmeren said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You forgot to mention ‘patatje met’ or ‘serving of fries with’ when translated meaning a portion of fries for one person (patatje) with mayonnaise (met mayonaise) in which, efficient as we are, leave out the mayonnaise part because, let’s face it what else could you possibly want on your fries?

4. Jurryaany said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

It should be noted here that the Dutch variant of mayo is quite different than the American one. it’s more yellow.

5. Marc De Boer said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Love this piece!! But the “Kapsalon” does not belong in this list I believe as it is a dish on its own with its own merits. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapsalon_(gerecht)

6. Gido said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Well to tell you the truth the mayonaise you get with your patat at snackbars or stands isn’t the heavy mayonaise you buy in glass jars. It’s somewhere between that mayo and regular saladsauce. It’s more mayosauce then exactly mayonaise. That doesn’t mean that some Dutchies won’t prefer the heavy mayo over the lighter versions. And ofcourse don’t forget the Zaanse Mayo. Or ‘zalf’.

• knelistonie said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 11:59 am

Indeed, mayonaise is not always mayonaise, but a much less tasty sugared fluff.

Funny enough you always find the perfect snack at almost any Vlaamse friet outlet.

• croga said:Posted on February 12th, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I’m sorry to say Gido, most snackbars and stands use the exact same mayonaise as most people use at home. The “Remia” brand is prevalent in both cases and is exactly the same wholesale as it is retail.

• Draske said:Posted on March 11th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Gido is right. What we serve as mayonnaise is sold in the supermarket as “Frietsaus” which is lighter the real mayonnaise.

7. Selina said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

It’s still ketchup as a preference for me

• Peter said:Posted on September 10th, 2014 at 6:49 am

Don’t ask for that here or in Belgium.

8. Richard said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Your fries won’t be complete without a “frikandel speciaal”, I know some Dutch living in the states who would kill for that.

• adthenomad said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

frikandels freak me out! just doesn’t look appetizing at all. ehh what do I know…I must be the only American that has not eaten a Hot Dog, but I sure love me some Spam

• Stangertje said:Posted on October 22nd, 2013 at 12:46 am

oh frikandelen! As a starving american in Nederland for a few years, this was a super special treat, and I still crave them after nearly 15 years!!! You know what else I miss: croquettes with bami in them, which you purchase from a vending machine!!! Seriously, who else buys hot foods from a vending machine?? Love the Dutch!

• Katinka said:Posted on March 30th, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I miss the bami ballen, the nasischijven and the loempia’s out of the wall more than anything.

9. Vivi Pastore said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Dutch mayo is just delicious!

10. Jasper van den Hof said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Dutch mayonaise is different from French or some German brands, because they use (more) vinegar whereas ‘we’ use oil. It makes the mayonaise thicker and less fresh/sour (but the downside is the calories intake). This is why you see Dutch families taking their own jars of mayonaise with them on holidays.

11. Melle said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I do believe that the word ‘patat’ is mostly used in the west of the country, the Hollands mostly, but correct me if I’m wrong.

• Niels said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I have lived in the east and the north and they call it patat as well there. I think the map pictured is pretty accurate. The Meertens Instituut researches these things by the way. See also the map description on Wikipedia (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Kaart_patat_friet_frieten.svg)

• Divemaster1962 said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Being a boy from the east of the low countries, I can safely say that ‘patat’ is used as the prime indicator of this fried potato dish.

• Aragnut said:Posted on October 7th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

In the south-east (Eindhoven area) ordering a Patat will get you fries, or a smart-ass asking you if you’re sure you want potatoes. In belgium you simple get potatoes if you order “patatten” in a restaurant.

12. adthenomad said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:27 pm

friet with curry ketchup! yes, now I’m craving it :)

• Gustavus said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 12:04 am

I really like the friets in The Netherlands! (I was mostly in Groningen, and I thought they called them frites..) The currysaus was a disappointment for me, though – it tasted like not-so-terrible barbecue sauce to me!!! D:

I may get chastised for this, but honestly, the garlic sauce from the Döner-Kebab places can totally go with frites!

• Aragnut said:Posted on October 7th, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Garlic saus can go with nearly everything.

13. Invader_Stu said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

The Dutch don’t add mayo to fries…. They add fries to mayo.

• Titia said:Posted on September 21st, 2012 at 3:36 am

You are soooooooooo right!!!! (dutch girl in Canada here)

14. Eva said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Just incase you want to order a “patatje oorlog” beware: some parts of the country serve them as mentioned here: peanut sauce+mayo+chopped onions, but some (closer to Rotterdam for example) leave out the onions…much better in my opinion ;), another added bonus: less smelly!

• rompompom said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

That is what we call a patatje flip in my hometown. Oorlog has to have onions and sometimes ketchup/curry too!

15. Hélène Nouwens said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

You’ve missed out Friet Stoofvlees, my absolute favourite!!!!

• Fred Schiphorst said:Posted on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I think that’s mor Belgium than Dutch. You can get it in Holland, but not as often as in Belgium.

16. Rob said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I am (a) Fries!

17. Sandra said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Patatje oorlog, in the south of the Netherlands we eat it with Mayonaise, Ketchup, chopped raw uniouns and sate sauce, yum yum, i miss it!

18. Carla said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Actually, Dutch people usually refer to the thin fries (like the ones at MacDonalds) as French Fries, and the thick ones as Vlaamse frieten. But in most places in the Netherlands you’ll get something in between.

• Richard said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

These thin excuse for a frie are the reason I won’t ever order fries at Mac Donald in the first place! Vlaamse Frieten are the best.

• Katinka said:Posted on March 30th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Love those Vlaamse fries but their mayo is not nearly as good as ours.

• Linda said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 8:25 am

I agree. French fries are the thin ones like at MacDonalds, Flemish fries are the thick ones.

• aliceaimeeroberts said:Posted on December 3rd, 2012 at 12:09 am

and very tasty they are too, just as I’d prefer English fat chippy chips to fries, I do like the Flemish variety. Mind you, I’ve explored more of Belgium than NL

19. Rutger said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

no, fries came to exist when Belgium was part of “the United Netherlands”. Nowadays known as the Netherlands, Belgium and Austria or “the Benelux”.

• evelien said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 2:14 am

The benelux is BElgium NEtherlands and LUxemburg…so no Austria.

Would kill for a papatje pinda right about now!!!

• Draske said:Posted on March 11th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Patatje pinda ? We call that in the south a “Friet Sate”

20. kate said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

“Friet speciaal: fries with mayonnaise, (curry) ketchup and onions” I haven’t seen a friet speciaal with ketchup in a long time, but I guess people still order this? I think it has become more common to make friet speciaal with curry ketchup. BUT there is a major difference between the curry ketchup used in the north of the Netherlands (above the rivers) and the south of the Netherlands (underneath the rivers), or at least Limburg and Noord-Brabant. In the south they use Hela, which is a German brand with much spices and in the north they use any Dutch brand, such as Remia or Calve, which in my taste is more sour (but my boyfriend calls it more sweet…).

• Loek said:Posted on November 8th, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I live in the west of Holland, but also prefer the Hela-brand. It’s a smoother, softer and a less sour taste which I always expirience with other brands…Hela is the best curry sauce for patat in my opinion!

21. Steffen M. Boelaars said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That last line of your Pulp Fiction quote is quiiite wrong. Watch the last seconds of that video you tagged along a few more times!

Vincent: I’ve seen ‘em do it, man. They fuckin’ drown ‘em in that shit!
    Jules: Uhhh!

22. Joyce King said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

As a dutch woman living in America, I always request a side of mayonaise with my fries at restaurants. They either look at me like Im crazy or ask if Im from Holland. The mayonaise is not like what we get in Holland but sometimes it gets pretty close.

I always have an imported stash of mayonaise and curry in my pantry. It is the fee my family and fries are required to pay when they come to visit from the Netherlands. That and douwe egberts coffee, honing wybertjes, gehakt en kip kruiden and anything salmiak…

… Excuse me while I go rade my stash. Youve made me homesick!

;)

• Bas said:Posted on September 20th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Joyce, homesick? Maybe this site is something for you and all other “Dutchies” abroad:

And get yourself a bottle of Remia :)

• Titia said:Posted on September 21st, 2012 at 3:41 am

Do they have Dutch stores in the USA? We have lots in Canada and I only go once in a while to stock up on basics..if one was just around the corner I would be broke!

23. Marlies van der Meer said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

We here in the south say Friet. The best snackbar serves home-made friet; not the industrial variety. And Dutch mayo is okay (sweeter than other European mayos) but the Belgium mayo is the best. You can actually buy belgium mayo in glass jars = vlaamse (Flemish) mayo.
    And patatje oorlog = friet + mayo + peanut sauce. Nothing else. And yes it certainly doesnt look pretty.
    Getting hungry here; not made at home but the snackbar actually makes the friet

24. Joyce King said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

* Family & FRIENDS, not “fries”. Guess we know what Ill be having for dinner…

25. kate said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

My boyfriend from the USA still thinks it is strange if I, Dutchie, talk about fries as a dinner. For my boyfriend fries are not a meal, but a sidedish. But I can eat just one frietje speciaal and that would be my dinner. If I am hungry, I might take a snack to go with it. A snack would be a piece of meat that is not really recogniseable as meat, such as a frikandel, kroket, bamihap, mexicano etc. My boyfriend didn’t like these deep fried snacks. That is why he ordered hamburgers instead. But he would turn out to be pretty disappointed, because in a Dutch snackbar his hamburger was never grilled, but deep fried!

26. Jan met de Pet said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Yep, Dutch cuisine….best in the world…

27. Scylla said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I keep wondering why the Dutch like mayo so much. I thought us the Russians were the champions at that, but alas! they beat us.

• Draske said:Posted on March 11th, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Yes, your Russians are the champions on that. Seeing some Russian friends use mayo, we come not near to that :):)

28. Marlies van der Meer said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

my comment should end with ‘getting hungry here’ (forgot to erase last bit)

29. Larry Day said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I haven’t been back to Nederland/België since the late 1960s. Are Friets still served in a cone made from newspaper or other paper? I recently bought Frietssaus from a Dutch deli here in Oregon and prefer it to American mayonnaise. But Dutch mayonaise is great—just like homemade mayonnaise with a little mustard and other spices

• Jan met de Pet said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 6:50 am

They’re being sold in rectangular plastic trays nowadays. But the cones have been around too.

• sonik said:Posted on September 21st, 2012 at 7:46 pm

in some restaurants they serve the fries in china cones, made to look like a paper cone. How cool is that?

30. Momo said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I think it is not only about the mayo which makes the patatjes in Holland so good… the friets are also cooked in such a way… Crunchy outside and soft inside, delicious! And yes, the mayonaise is not you regular mayo either, it is not as citrusy and a bit thicket than regular mayo… I love the patatjes! I was just there again and cannot go without having them at least once!

31. Jolien said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

You forgot to mention that every single Dutchie knows to order a “Patat Met” (“Fries With”) when they want fries with mayonais…

I once made the mistake of ordering “Patat met” in Belgium…. They wouldnt stop laughing at me!

32. Florence said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I still eat my fries with mayo after 21 years in the US. Oh, and “friet met satesaus” was called “patatje pinda” in the western part of the country where I lived (Leiden). And “patatje oorlog” was fries with (curry)ketchup – which looked more like bbq sauce – satay sauce, mayo, and raw onions….

33. Omar Wendel said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 8:14 pm

The first time I went to netherlands, was christmas 2011, now Im back here again, and been in netherlands for 3 months, might stay here (got a girlfriend) but back to my point, Before I visited Netherlands the first time, your blog made me love the netherlands more, and some of their weirdness.

• Titia said:Posted on September 21st, 2012 at 3:43 am

What weirdness? We are the normal ones ;)

34. Thijs said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Patatje stoof!!! Fries with stewed beef and gravy, also known as ” hachee”. The best snackbars make the “stoof” themselves.
    And don’t forget the Belgian chips, that are usually a bit coarser, a bit bigger, with sometimes some skin still on it, and fried darker than your standard fries. Combined with Belgian mayonaise, which is a bit more tart and less sweet than standard mayo…….NOMNOMNOM!
    And I’m missing ” raspatat”, a variety made of potato-powder mixed with water. This makes kind of a mash that is extruded into the typical fries-shape and deepfried. Not bad, but a bit different in taste.
    @Larry Day: some places do, but most serve the fries in an open plastic container, like this: [img]http://www.cvdenatneuzen.nl/demi/Patat-Meeneem-02.jpg[/img]

35. Thijs said:Posted on September 14th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Forgot one from teh South (Brabant) a “supertje”: fries with a frikadel and curry, mayonaise and chopped onions.
    A complete list (in Dutch) can be found here: http://www.pippens.nl/recepten/friet-specialiteiten.

36. Mireille said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 1:16 am

hmmm, I just had my mum sent over some Zaanse Mayonaise AND Hela Curry so I can make my own frietje speciaal right here in Sydney :-)

37. femkesblog said:Posted on September 15th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

This leaves me craving for some patatje oorlog and a frikandel speciaal met uitjes, please!! Whoever dares to open the first Dutch snackbar in London is my hero. And is likely to do some very good business.

• Pete said:Posted on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Hi Femke,

Don’t crave any longer. I wouldn’t know of a Dutch snackbar in London, but a viable alternative might be a pub called De Hems (off Shaftesbury Avenue). They serve stuff like patatje oorlog, frikandel, bitterballen and more all year round – and things like boerenkool-met-worst, zuurkool, stamppot during the cold season (http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/de-hems-dutch-bar-london). But be prepared for prices a little more peppered than you’d find in yer average chippie!

The Hems used to have a mixture of Dutch and British staff, back when I arrived in 1998. They also used to have live music, from time to time (a massively fat – and massively awful – drummer invariably presiding over the trad jazz featured). It has been rather a while that I’ve been in De Hems, though, so I’m not sure this is still the case. But I’m pretty much certain about those dishes aforementioned!

If your craving extends to wagon wheel pannekoeken (pancakes), head to Holborn for Old Dutch. Every Monday, most of their menu will be available for just £5! And for such pittance, you’ll get a really huge plate of yumminess!

Pete

38. Minaolandesina said:Posted on September 16th, 2012 at 12:23 am

Being a Dutchie living in Italy, one of the things I have to eat within three days after my arrival in Holland is a Frietje Speciaal! After my stay, I will always, just always bring some mayonnaise and curry in my suitcase. Risky, I have ruined some clothes when the jar broke during traveling….

39. Adrian Madlener said:Posted on September 16th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

In Brabant, Zeeland, and Limburg, they probably use “friet” and “frietten” as they are closer to the Belgian border, Belgian culture is much more french influenced then dutch, even in north western reaches of Flanders

• tim said:Posted on September 19th, 2012 at 10:29 am

Those borders are artificial. Limburg, Brabant and Flanders are the historical regions. Parts of it are now in the Netherlands, Belgium and Flanders even has a part in France.

• Draske said:Posted on March 11th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I always thought that the real name is Patat Friet, Which should mean “Fried Patato”. I am not sure if the more French influence in Belgium makes the difference as “Patat” has a Roman language origin as well.

• Peter said:Posted on September 10th, 2014 at 7:00 am

In Belgium the place for patat is a “frietkot”.

40. Peter said:Posted on September 16th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

So funny!

I Walked into à friet place and in english i asked for french fries. The guy, 100% serious answers “we dont have french fries” took me à minute to gather myself since all i could see was french fries! I realize he is being “funny” so i answer to him “What à pity, i was in the mood for french fries” and left. Dumb ASS remark, i never went back..

• tim said:Posted on September 19th, 2012 at 10:23 am

So what is it? Was that guy being funny or was he 100% serious? You do realize that french fries means something different in this country?

• BB said:Posted on October 18th, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Maybe he if you asked for a portie friet or patat, he would understand you. You are after all in a DUTCH speaking country and not an ENGLISH speaking country.

• Fred Schiphorst said:Posted on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Could it have been he just did not understand you? In general in Holland French Fries are only named that way at places like McDonalds. Friet is the normal word and if I would ask for them in English the word Chips enters my mind first. So in stead of automaticly blaming the other one you could have tried to find out if it wasn’t just miscommunication. Now you might have missed some great Frieten!

41. Mike said:Posted on September 17th, 2012 at 10:39 am

In the north Patatje Oorlog is just Peanut sauce and Mayonaise.. without unions, if you want unions with it you need to specify.

42. Toine Kamps said:Posted on September 17th, 2012 at 11:32 am

In the south of Holland (Limburg) they call it ‘friet’ instead of ‘patat’. Another difference is that they call a snackbar a ‘friture’ (just like the belgians) which actually means a frying pan. Most of the ‘fritures’ in Limburg also serve a ‘frietje zuurvlees’ which has a strong resemblance of boiled beef, but has a more sweet-and-sour like sauce/gravy. Very very tasty!

43. Mariah said:Posted on September 17th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I never thought mayo and fries would be a good combination till I tried Friet speciaal a few months back when I was in Breda… absolutely divine!

44. Evert said:Posted on September 19th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Well… I’m missing the “raspatat” and regular patat variations as “patatje halfom”, “patatje chillimayo”, “patatje flip” :-D

45. Ferran Mv said:Posted on September 24th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

They are called French fries because of the same reason French onion soup is called French.. because of the culinary technique of cutting the food, the “french cut”. Nothing about WWI soldiers that did not know where they were ;)

Don’t try to bring the Americans in the invention of fries ;)

• BB said:Posted on October 18th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Correct!

• savory4 said:Posted on July 30th, 2013 at 12:34 am

Technically this is not true, as the American’s thought that they were in France and actually they were Belgium when they discovered the delight of the fries aka friets…. french fries :)

46. pantser said:Posted on September 24th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

does nobody now’s boerenfriet (farmer fries)
    witch is fries with skin containing fried mushrooms, fried onions and bacon.

47. stef said:Posted on September 26th, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Dutch fries suck,
    if you want the best fries in the world ,go to belgium

48. ingridbrok said:Posted on October 1st, 2012 at 11:57 am

Seriously, 2.5? That’s not very much considering the average American eats 13!!! kilo’s (29 lbs) a year!

• Ingrid said:Posted on October 1st, 2012 at 4:25 pm

If we calculate further… That is 48 grams a week. Since one portion of fries on average weighs 164 grams, that is roughly one portion of fries every three weeks. Sounds pretty normal to me! Now, if you compare that to amount of cheese we eat! THAT is mind blowing (18 kilograms per year per person!)

49. Kate said:Posted on October 8th, 2012 at 12:22 am

50. Annie said:Posted on October 11th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

You forgot American Sauce! So unlike anything we have in America, but so delicious…

51. dutchgoesitalian said:Posted on October 18th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

First thing I eat when I’m back in the Netherlands….. patatje oorlog (zonder uitjes)….. I just go crazy for it!!!!

52. Carla said:Posted on October 24th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Dutch Mayo and Pindasaus are the entry fees to our US house for Dutch friends and family…. And when we go back to The Netherlands to visit there are two things I *must* eat during that time for sure: frietjes, frikandel speciaal en een bereklauw pinda as dinner, and a high quality portion of Kibbeling. Hmmmm, hungry now….

53. naantje said:Posted on October 26th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I find it so funny that you are talking about “a wide array of toppings” for fries in the Netherlands. As Belgians who’ve been living in the Netherlands for 1,5 years, we’re always disappointed by the limited offer of sauces they offer for fries. Mayo, curry ketchup, ketchup, peanut and Joppie. Some will also have garlic sauce or stoofvleessaus. While in Belgium, we have those plus tartaar, cocktailsauce, béarnaise, anadalouse, americain, samurai, curry sauce (which is not the same as curry ketchup!), mammoetsaus, zigeunersaus, and many many more varieties.

54. John said:Posted on November 13th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

By the way, most of the Brabanders (the dutch who live in the south of the Netherlands) also put Appelmoes (applesauce) on their fries. Every child eats it. Delicious :)

55. Jabberwoky said:Posted on January 6th, 2013 at 3:20 am

Unfortunately, part of the explanation here is incorrect. Although it is amusing to attribute the name “French Fries” to worldly GIs of the Great War, in truth the name refers to the cut. When slicing vegetables into thin, even strips, this can be called “julienne” or “french” as a verb. Therefore, potatoes that are first frenched, then fried result in the tasty snack we all enjoy today. The cut may have been developed in France, but immersing the potatoes in boiling ossewit (solid, white bovine fat) twice, salting, and serving with some form of mayonnaise was most definitely developed in the region between modern France and the Netherlands. This happened before the Treaty of London, in which the Kingdom of Belgium was established, meaning that although the Belgians have a regional and cultural claim to the food, the actual nationality of its origins are more ambiguous.

56. Diego said:Posted on January 11th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

delicious! ze sie ist von mej! (i know my dutch sucks!)

57. Ivana Jiménez (@andshegoesdown) said:Posted on March 1st, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Joppiesaus is a mix of mayo, curry and a bit of peanut butter, among other things. Those are the main ingredients. Other cheaper crappier versions won’t have pb, don’t let them trick you ;).

58. johanna said:Posted on March 29th, 2013 at 12:59 am

The Brits call it “egg and chips” – same basic principle, as proper mayo is mostly egg.

You can’t keep a great flavour combination down!

59. Yvonne said:Posted on June 2nd, 2013 at 2:45 pm

You didn’t mention the song written about friet met mayonaise..

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8evodDKbc

60. annie said:Posted on July 26th, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hi , I have just been doing a bit of blog surfing , came across yours off another one ,, oh my word , the Frites with mayo , over there , the best in the world ,, the mayo is so different ,, my husband and I used to live in Germany but go to NL and Belgium ,, we love them :-)

61. Pete said:Posted on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Greetings all!

First of all, this is a real gem: a host of Dutch peculiarities astutely observed – if not always well-understood. But that’s where the comments come in…

I’m Dutch, but have been living in London for the past 14 years. I still visit the country of my birth two or three times a year, but feel increasingly a tourist there .Still, this blog had me hooked in no time.

I came across it purely accidentally – and just spent a thoroughly enjoyable Saturday afternoon with it. I was repeatedly in stitches, too: sooooooo recognisable!

I’d also like to take this opportunity for a message to Femke, who left a post back in September 2012. If she’s still living in London and her craving for patatje oorlog hasn’t yet diminished, she might be interested in revisiting this friet & mayo section and scrolling down to my comment.

Smakelijk!

Pete

62. Dropje-Kopje said:Posted on August 24th, 2013 at 6:07 am

I may be the only person in the United States using a Remia Fritessaus cup as an office supplies holder at work, but that doesn’t mean I’ll eat the stuff. I only take my “frieten” two ways: met mosterd, or met niets. Just can’t find a taste for ANY mayonnaisy condiment, no matter how “zacht en romig” it is.

63. Erica Dakin said:Posted on September 24th, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Wow, has no one yet mentioned the ‘patatje zonder met’? I thought that was a fairly widespread story, when someone wanted to ensure they got their chips without mayonnaise, so they ordered it ‘without with’. You know, because a ‘patatje met’ has mayonnaise…

64. MarcelSwart said:Posted on September 29th, 2013 at 5:41 pm

As Dutchman who has just been to Parry Sound (Ontario), Canada, I can say that Poutine is not to be compared to a Patatje Mayo. The latter is delicious, the former suspicious.

65. Johnny van der Laan said:Posted on January 27th, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Oh hey please don’t forgot they where from a bad harvest from the South (the Netherlands) cause they couldn’t catch any fish. They decided to make the patatoes in litle small fishes. That is whe they came from. It is because the USA soldiers didn’t understand a shit cause they where talking in French the people who where eating them. So they called them French Fries. DONE here you go, we can claim them here they came from. From the fishers city Vlissingen.

66. Johnny van der Laan said:Posted on January 27th, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Oh and one more comment about your not doing your history at all!:

Fries were common place in Belgium as early as 1680 but didn’t make waves in the lowlands until the ealry 1900s. In 1912, the presence of patat-friet houses in Rotterdam’s red light district was reported (oh, how some things never change…;)

The Belgian Revolution was in 25 August 1830 – 14 July 1831

So how if they invented at that time, it wasn’t in the Netherlands(Or your cald Low Lands what is: BENELUX the Low Lands Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg. Serious stop accusing the dutch so much how horrible sauces we have and why we eat mayonaise. Tell me where you from and I can also make fun of your culture what you eat and what are your habbits. Please.

• Steffen M. Boelaars said:Posted on January 28th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

haters gonna hate

• Johnny van der Laan said:Posted on January 29th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Oh and besides that, if u are talking about someones his/her culture then place be acurate and precise u cannot just say whatever…. Or am I wrong here.

67. ce said:Posted on February 4th, 2014 at 7:32 am

Oh lord I just found this blog and all of it is hilarious, but this one rings the truest. My (Dutch) boyfriend could probably put away 2.5 kilos of fries & mayo in one sitting!

68. arie s said:Posted on February 9th, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I thought it might be worth sharing the Dutch expression “uit de muur eten” (eating from the wall), which means eating anything from the vending machines (that are in a “vending wall” in the center of Dutch cities). They are accessable at all times, because they aren’t inside a bar or café. You just insert coins in the wall while standing outside and then you can open the box in which your hamburger, kroket, bamibal or frikandel is waiting. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Febo.jpg

69. Hockeyman77 said:Posted on February 28th, 2014 at 12:25 am

Does nobody like a ‘patatje mayo met sambal’ ?

70. levilikescookies said:Posted on July 27th, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Lol you forgot ‘patat met appelmoes’ fries with applesauce x’D